Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong
Role: Quest / Level Designer
Developer: Big Bad Wolf Studio
Period: November 2019 - Present
Engine: Unreal Engine
Platforms: Consoles and PC
Swansong is a Narrative RPG in which the player embodies three different vampires, each with different abilities. The player must investigate to uncover the truth about the attack they suffered. Each choice they make will have consequences for the rest of the story.
- Designed the quest's stucture, based on the scenario
- Designed narrative puzzles
- Adapted some narrative issues to fit with the design needs
- Scripted the quests (puzzles, dialogs, choices, etc.) using Blueprints
- Polished and debuging several quests
- Level Design and blocking, and building intention documents to communicate with artists
- Managed playtests to improve the quality of quests
- Review dialogs and Game Design, to improve their potential and player's understanding
One thing I'm proud of:
While I was supposed to be working with a writer on my quests, I mostly worked alone in each quest until last stage due to production constraints. I had to design every piece of the quest and find coherent narrative situation, writing dialog's structure to fit the design. It helped my writer to work faster when she finally could join me.
One thing I learned:
This project gave me the opportunity to work on the narrative aspect of a game, to create a design in harmony with the scenario. Moreover, as Quest Designers we were close to the narrative and had the occasion to improve the scenario as things progressed, to fit our needs.